"Today a reader...Tomorrow a leader"
"We must all do our part to stop illiteracy from driving our children into gangs
and criminal activity."
- President William Jefferson Clinton
"It suddenly occurred to me that every single thing I worry about-drugs, the breakup of families, AIDS, the homeless-everything would be better if more people could read, write and understand English."-
First Lady Laura Bush
White House "Reader in Chief"
"Mrs. Bush's passion for reading was sparked at an early age. As a child, Laura Bush dreamed of one day becoming a teacher. Her dream was prompted by an early introduction to books by her mother at the local public library in her birthplace of Midland, Texas. She earned a bachelor's degree in education from Southern Methodist University and a master's degree in library science from the University of Texas at Austin. She worked as a public teacher and librarian in the Houston, Dallas and Austin school systems.
As first lady, she hosted a White House literary series called “White House Salute to America’s Authors”, which thus far has celebrated the life and works of Mark Twain and the writers of the Harlem Renaissance. Through these efforts Mrs. Bush shared her love of reading and good literature with America’s families and children.
YOUR FINANCIAL SUPPORT AS A LITERACY ANGEL
will help us...
- Distribute books to hospitals, schools, churches, day care centers and other organizations who help children become productive citizens.
- Support schools, children's hospitals, communities, PBS Television and other groups who assist poor, inner-city and under-served families.
- Provide bilingual books for children who cannot read, speak and understand English or Spanish.
- Work with other agencies that provide a variety of literacy programs
Every dollar you give helps us help the children.
Please give as much as you can, as often as you can